USTA Florida is working hard to keep players active and engaged at home! Every weekday evening at 5 p.m. EST throughout April, join us for Pro Power Hour – an hour of tips, technique, and activities provided by our USTA Florida tennis teaching professionals.
The pro tips cover a variety of topics for players of all levels:
- Warm-Up and Health – If your body isn’t ready, your muscles aren’t ready! Before a match, it’s important to set aside some time pre-practice or pre-competition to properly warm-up.
- Rules and Sportsmanship – Tennis is a unique sport, one that is often played without supervision, referees or officials. As a tennis player, it is important that you know and follow the rules and practice the courtesy of good sportsmanship on the court.
- Strategy – Advance your game with various strategies to help maximize your strengths and rule the court.
- Groundstrokes – From high forehands to slice backhands, learn about different tips to enhance your game from the baseline.
- Serves – Improve your first shot in every point by working on these serving tips to help you play each point on your terms.
- Volleys –Whether you’re looking to finish the points quickly by approaching the net or helping your partner out at the net in doubles, these tips will help you feel more confident in your volleys.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.YouTube.com/USTAFlorida and tune in every weekday at 5 p.m. for the latest tips. All Pro Power Hour videos will be available at www.USTAFlorida.com/ProPowerHour after release.
Here’s what you may have missed this week:
Get Tennis Arms
Lori shows you how to get a great workout at home with items around the house to keep your strength up.
Backhand Approach Shot
Up your game when it comes to approaching the net! Learn the differences between two different types of backhand approach shots and the grip, footwork and strategy needed for a successful completion.
Situational Shot Selection
Situational shot selection – can you say that three times fast? Frank breaks down how to apply what you’ve learned through practice to a particular point, set, or match.
Stances of the Forehand
Good footwork and having a good stance is one of the key elements to a successful forehand. Christopher goes over some of the stances and footwork drills you can do around the house.
Return of Serve
You always hear people talk about the importance of your serve, but what about your return of serve? Learn how to recognize the different types of ways you can return the serve, to better your chances of staying in the point!
In or Out
Making good line calls is important, but it’s not always easy to tell whether a ball is in or out. Lori provides some tips and practice scenarios you can set up at home.
The kick serve is considered the ultimate second serve. Travis breaks down the grip, toss, and swingpath to kick your kick serve up a notch.
Indoor Coordination Drills
Tennis is a sport where hand-eye coordination is important! Practice some of these easy drills to keep your hand-eye coordination at its peak.
Choosing Your Racquet
Looking for the perfect fit? In search of “the one”? Christopher explains why it’s important to weigh all your options when choosing your racquet!
John goes over the basics of the dropshot and how you can practice and perfect your dropshot at home.
Junior Tennis Questions
Junior tennis players, your questions are getting answered! Lori goes over some commonly asked questions from the court.
Talk about an entertaining shot! As the name suggests, the tweener is a shot played between the legs. So how difficult is it to pull off? Travis demonstrates.
Have some spare time on the court? Want to impress your family and friends? Try your hand at these tennis tricks to give yourself a bit of style!
Lobs getting you down? John demonstrates some drills you can do around the house to hone your lob and take your game up a notch!
Travis goes over some of the advantages and disadvantages of the two-handed backhand and discusses some drills you can practice at home.
Wheelchair Workout at Home
Even if you can’t get to the gym or the court, it’s important to get your heart pumping! Bill shares some workout tips for wheelchair athletes at home.
Your fitness is the cornerstone of your tennis game. Lace up your sneakers, grab your racquet, and get your feet moving with these ladder drills from John.
Get into the swing of things! Travis goes over the basics of groundstrokes and some drills to improve your shots.
Stances of the Backhand
Did you know there are four stances of the backhand? Christopher explains what they are and what they’re used for.