Responsibilities Of A Captain
Be accountable for upholding National Regulation # 1.04E(4) Player Agreement. All players participating in the USTA League, as a condition of said participation, agree to abide and be bound by the USTA Constitution and Bylaws, the FRIEND AT COURT – The USTA Handbook of Tennis Rules and Regulations including THE CODE and Wheelchair Rules of Tennis (unless modified by these USTA LEAGUE REGULATIONS); the USTA LEAGUE REGULATIONS; and the standards of good conduct, fair play and good sportsmanship.
- Attend the Captains Meeting to be eligible for the $30.00 complimentary Tennis Warehouse e-gift card.
- Ensure all players have an NTRP rating, have a current USTA membership and are registered in TennisLink before they play their first match.
- Make sure all players are committed to playing on the team, as there are no local league registration fee refunds.
- Schedule team members for matches. Once matches are scheduled, either by the Local League Contractor (LLC) or between captains in the case of rain make-ups the captain should ensure all individual matches are played in accordance with league regulations.
- Advise players when they are scheduled and whether they need to bring balls.
- Exchange the line-up of the team with the opposing captain before each match.
- Timely report scores in TennisLink as required.
- Act on behalf of the team in un-officiated matches and file appeals and/or complaints. Captains are the responsible parties for rule interpretations and for challenges.
- Keep in contact with the LLC. If there is doubt of a match time or scheduling question the captain must contact the LLC and should not wait for the LLC to call them.
National Tennis Rating Program is a classification system developed in 1978 that identifies and describes
the general characteristics of thirteen levels of tennis-playing ability. The USTA uses the National Tennis Rating Program (NTRP) for determining levels of competition for USTA League.
Players, Teams, and Captains can be penalized and sanctions for various actions and/or behavior. Please click the button below to see the list of offenses and the corresponding penalties and sanctions for players and/or Captains.
Players withholding pertinent information when self-rating your players is an EGREGIOUS act and a violation of National Regulation Item 1.04E(4)(Player Agreement) and can lead to serious consequences. Sanctions may include suspension from USTA League Tennis for the captain, player and team. Captains do not self-rate players. Players do their own self-rating.
USTA Florida has sanctioned captains, players and teaching professionals for falsifying USTA League match scores and/or reporting matches that were not actually played in TennisLink.
These individuals have been sanctioned to include the entire team being denied the opportunity to advance to championships, players being suspended from all USTA League play, and captains have been precluded from holding the position of captain, co-captain or managing a team in any form for a period of time up to one year.
USTA Florida will not tolerate the unethical and unsportsmanlike behavior of any individuals associated with USTA League Tennis in any manner.
Please govern yourselves accordingly.
Rules & Regulations
The USTA League Regulations have full force and applicability at all levels of play in USTA Florida League Tennis. Local Rules and Regulations may be developed to supplement the National and Sectional regulations but may not contradict the National or Section-established rules and regulations. Click the button below to go to the Sectional Regulations of USTA Florida covering those items that the National Regulations authorize the section to establish.